If you recall on Sunday I mentioned in the media roundup that the Independent on Sunday had, on the front cover of the paper, come up with a very bold and very exciting statement regarding women’s sport. If you also recall I then admitted I hadn’t actually read the article and i’d let you know when I had. Well that time is now people, there’s nothing like cutting edge and proactive reporting, so that’s why on a Wednesday I finally got round to picking up the Sunday paper and having a quick read. My findings were positive.
Here are the Independent on Sunday’s targets for women’s sport over the next 12 months:
- Greater efforts to ensure school sport appeals to more girls
- Better publicity for sportswomen
- Better pay for female athletes
- Corporate sponsors investing properly in sportswomen
- Broadcast coverage of Britain’s women at all international sporting events
- Women on the boards of all national sporting governing bodies.
This is what they plan to call for action on and promote in the papers pages – all very exciting I feel. Yes for them the financial gains from this could be pretty big, by raising the profile of women’s sport and reporting on it they’re creating a market that very few other papers have gone for and consequently also raising their own profile too, but it would also be nice to think they care a little bit. Either way, its a brilliant first step and we’ll be supporting, watching and helping however we can along the way.